With the limited number of names used in Wales it is often difficult to trace a family over the years. However, the LOTS and HERBERTS mentioned in the Census Returns are still inhabiting the area today.
DAVIES, Mary known as Mari Berllan Bitter, was born in 1817, the daughter of John and Mary Davies, at Berllan Bitter, or Perllan Pitter (the spelling varies ) situated in an isolated spot across the river Arth from Castell Dineirth. Her father was a gardener probably at Mynachdy.
The cottage in which she was born is still there. Sturdily built of stone it has two rooms with a fireplace in each of them. The house is built against the side of a stone outcrop so the only windows are in the front. Before the cottage is a garden that still has wild garlic and strawberries growing in it.
By 1851 Mari's father was dead and her mother was described as an independent widow. This would imply that they were not short of money at this time and this is born out by the fact that they had a servant in 1861 - albeit one of only nine years of age. Her mother died in 1866 of old age and was buried in the churchyard on the 2nd of August
By 1871, when Mari was 54 (she says 50 on the Census return), her mother was dead and the servant was gone.
With her parents dead she continued to live at Berllan Bitter and, as the years passed, became more and more eccentric gaining a reputation for witchcraft.
She was very short with one shoulder higher than the other. Her head, always covered with a shawl, was usually cast down but when she did raise it her eyes were dark and piercing. It was said that she would visit farms, not asking for anything but with an empty basket over her arm. If she was not given food of some sort she would turn on her heel and leave without saying a word. Then, some disaster would befall the farm. The milk in the churn would curdle or a horse would have a fit. Mari would be sent for, given food and all would be well.
She died of Senile Decay at the house of her cousin Mary Anne Davies in Clifton Terrace, Aberarth on the 4th November 1898.
GWYNNE, the Reverend Alban lived in Mynachdy. He invested £6,000 that he had inherited in the construction of a harbour and quays at Aberaeron. Developers were given 99 year leases providing they were willing to conform to overall building schemes. Local tradition has it that the town was designed by John Nash.The work began in 1807 and was completed eight years later. Alban Gwynn died in 1819.
HUET, THOMAS (died 1591). He went to Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, in 1544 and is reputed to have been a D.D. He held a number of benefices among them Llanbadarn Trefeglwys from 1561 to 1599. He subscribed to the Thirty-nine Articles in 1562 and translated Revelations for the Welsh New Testament of 1567.
HUGHES, JAMES (Iago Trichrug; 1779 - 1844) He was born on the 3rd July 1779 at Neuadd-ddu, Ciliau Aeron, the son of Jenkin and Ellen Hughes. He received an elementary education at Blaenllan, Pennant and was then apprenticed to a blacksmith. In 1797 he joined the Methodists at Llangeithio. 1799 saw him settled in Deptford as a blacksmith where he took a leading part in establishing a Welsh congregation. He seceded for a time but then became a member at Wilderness Row chapel. In 1810 he began to preach and was ordained in 1816. He was a frequent contributor to Welsh periodicals and became known in bardic circles as Iago Trichrug. Many of his hymns are still sung. He died at his home in Rotherhithe on 2nd November 1844.
REES, TIMOTHY was born in Llain, Cross Inn but in this Parish, on 15 August 1874. He served with distinction in the First World War and won an MC. He was Bishop of Llandaff from 1931 - 1939.
His parents, David and Catherine Rees, had three other sons John Lambert Rees who was a missionary in China, as well as two other sons who were master mariners. Father and one son actually became shipwrecked off Barbados - and survived.
ST PADARN although not strictly a resident of the Parish. no doubt visited it during his time at Llanbadarn Fawr.
He was born in Armorica some time in the first twenty years of the sixth century the son of Petran and Guean. He did his training with St Illtyd at Llantwit (which had been founded in 476) and afterwards founded a religious community at Llanbadarn Fawr. He remained there twentyone years.
During this time he had disputes with Arthur (of Round Table fame) who, according to the Annales Cambriae died in 537 and with Maelgwn who died in 547.
The exact date when the saint died is not known but it would have been in the middle of the sixth century. His Feast Day is celebrated on 15/17th April.
In the Welsh Triads St David, St Padarn and St Teilo are called the Three Blessed Visitors to Britain.