HomeCommunity MeetingsNewsServices (Local & Community)What's OnClubsVillage HistoryLinks from our websiteContact UsForms
Cymuned Pennant Community
Our Story
Monachty Mansion
Dinierth Castle
Census Returns
The Vestry Book
Notable People
Tithe Scheme
The Chapel
The 18th century saw the rise of the Methodist movement in Wales.
Preaching had started at Ty Llwyd and in the Ship Inn where Daniel Rowlands and Howell Harries both preached.
When Daniel Rowlands was ordained Deacon on 10 March 1733, the ceremony was conducted by the Bishop of St David's, John Banks, at Duke Street Chapel, Westminster. Nothing daunted, Daniel walked the 200 miles from Wales to London for his ordination.
The first chapel was built in 1768 and measured 39 feet by 21 feet.
The second was built in 1793 and the present one in 1832.
From 1811 the Methodists discontinued taking communion in church.
There was a small chapel at Ty Llwyd, where Hywel Harris preached in 1738. Two pillars from this chapel are under the gallery in Pennant Chapel today.
Cwmteg was built in 1873 as a house for the Minister
In 1913, at a cost of £100 a field was bought from Rhys Edwards, Lanllwyd for use as a cemetery.
These are the first five entries in the Register of Baptisms.

When Baptised
Child's Christian Name & Sex
 In What Parish Born
 When Born
 Names of both Father and Mother,with the former Name of the Mother
 Business or Profession
 Signature of Parents
 Signature of the Minister by whom the Baptism is performed
 November 29th 1821
  Ann a Female
 October21st 1821
 Evan Evans
Mary Evans
Mary Jones
 Evan Evans
Mary Evans Mark X
  Ebanezer Richards
  Febr 26th 1822
  Ann a Female
 Febr 2nd 1822
 Evan Jones
Rachel Jones
Rachel Rees
 Tyn y Cae
  Mark X Evan Jones
Rachel Jones Mark X
 David Evans
 Augst 22nd 1822
 Joshua a Male
 Llanbadarn Trefeglwys
 July 28th 1822
 John Jenkins
Elizabeth Jenkins
Elizabeth Evans
 Llyest fach
  John Jenkins
Elizabeth Jenkins by mark X
 David Evans
 Septr 22nd 1822
 Elizabeth a Female
 Augst 10th 1822
 William Evans
Elizabeth Evans
Elizabeth Jones
  William Evans
Elizabeth Evans
 David Evans
 Febr 16th 1823
 Evan a Male
 Llanbadarn Trefeglwys
 Decr 28th 1822
 Evan Evans
Ann Evans
Ann Jones
 Pen y Garn
  Evan Evans
Ann Evans
 David Evans

The Ministers for the Chapel appear to have been drawn from a mainly from a circuit as they are today but some of them resided in the village.
1822 - 1824 David Evans
1864 - 1903 Evan Evans.He lived in Penpontbren.
He seems to have had an assistant preachesr in Thomas Lewis, Minister who lived at Pencwm, Pennant in 1866 and John Davies, Minister, who lived at Cwmteg from 1873 to 1902.
1911 - 1923 Morgan Evans
1933 - 1942 D.A.Williams
1944 - 1945 G.A.Howells
1950 - 1965 H.T.Harry
1968 - 1988 E.Ebenezer
HomeCommunity MeetingsNewsServices (Local & Community)What's OnClubsVillage HistoryLinks from our websiteContact UsForms